The Regional Director oversees the implementation of the NESsT strategy in Central Eastern Europe (CEE), leading a portfolio of high impact social enterprises in the creation of 20,000 dignified employment and income opportunities. The regional director ensures that the strategy identifies the strongest companies through a rigorous and effective due diligence process. The Regional Director works closely with local teams to develop investment and business development packages that help investees to validate their business models and prepare their businesses to scale. The Director also oversees the ongoing provision of monitoring, impact measuring and support, through advisory services and by connecting investees with local mentors.
The Regional Director serves as the representative for NESsT within CEE, supporting pipeline development for new European investments and promoting best practices in the social enterprise sector through networking, speaking engagements, writing articles and other sector-building activities. This position is also responsible for establishing and nurturing important partnerships in the region with other ecosystem organizations, government and multilateral agencies, and key donors.
The position reports to the Co-CEO, and works closely with local and international team members to support NESsT's portfolio of enterprises and promote NESsT activities across CEE. The Regional Director oversees the 3 regional HUB directors (Poland & the Baltics, Visegrad, Romania & the Balkans). This is a full-time position with approximately 30% travel expected in the role.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- With the CEO, develop the portfolio organization-wide impact goals and hub cascading goals for NESsT overall and CEE specifically.
- Lead the portfolio-wide use of the performance management tool including the uploading of key impact indicators and evaluation of impact reports.
- Oversee the development and organization-wide adoption of NESsT´s portfolio methodology and the exchange of knowledge, best practices, failures and strategies for improvement.
- Assist portfolio teams in financial modeling and preparation of investment memos to the Investment Committee.
- Oversee portfolio teams in the development of annual social enterprise capacity plans.
- Developing and implementing an investment portfolio policy and strategy resulting in improved social impact and financial sustainability among enterprises and ultimately contributing to meet NESsT´s portfolio goals in CEE.
- Overseeing due diligence, financial modeling and investments for social enterprises and selection of social enterprises into the CEE portfolio.
- Collaborating with the portfolio teams in each CEE HUB to ensure implementation of annual social enterprise capacity plans and to connect investees with essential support and training to validate, grow and scale their businesses.
- Establishing and deepening relationships with key external mentors, advisors and co-investors who provide specialized support to investees (i.e. coaches, mentors, lawyers, etc.)
- Supporting the pipeline development for the European investments together with the portfolio teams through networking, speaking engagements, writing articles, market research, and other sector-building activities, including the Social Impact Investing Task Force.
- Providing on-going management, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on new and existing investments, with an eye towards recommending opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Contributing to the development and implementing a customized investment portfolio policy and strategy (standards, controls and compliance procedures) resulting in improved investment returns.
- Serving as the NESsT representative in CEE with key regional donors, investors and government agencies to support the financial sustainability of the organization, including nurturing relationships with local contacts and collaborate with the fundraising team on reports, proposals, events and other activities to maintain and deepen donor and investor support.
- Supporting portfolio directors on key donor decisions and the operations team with strategic input related to financial, human resources, legal, issues in CEE.
- A bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in strategy and consulting, finance, investment banking, private equity, impact investing or venture capital.
- Strong analytical skills, financial modeling experience and the ability to approach tasks in a highly organized, logical and diligent manner.
- Demonstrated track record in fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience in and commitment to social impact. This can include volunteer positions. Experience with social enterprises a plus.
- Experience operating in emerging markets, especially Central Eastern Europe.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English (and Polish is a plus) to be an effective communicator among diverse internal and external audiences.
- Ability to effectively work under pressure, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and produce high-quality work within tight time constraints
- Ability to be flexible, resourceful and innovative in a small, dynamic, nonprofit environment.
- Familiarity and comfort with Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
Warsaw, Poland – mostly working from home office.
9 a.m. – 6 p.m. with one hour lunch break
This position requires intensive travel in different implementation phases (i.e. representing NESsT at various events).
Salary will be negotiated based on experience and qualification prior to employment.
Early August 2018
Please apply for this position by uploading the following materials in English via our online application: https://nesstforms.formstack.com/forms/cee_regional_director.
- Thoughtful cover letter explaining why you're the right fit for this role and your available start date
- Statement on salary requirements.
Application process is open until position is filled. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NESsT is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.