Gerry is the Chief Executive Officer at CEiS (Community Enterprise in Scotland) and has held that role since October 2006. Under Gerry’s leadership CEiS has grown to be a diverse company, now employing 66 people and an annual turnover in excess of £4m. Gerry has supported the growth of the long standing Enterprise Support, Community Assets and Business Finance Services to establish market leading positions in their respective sectors. However to ensure CEiS can deliver on its mission with enterprises and communities, the following services have been developed and introduced by Gerry and his team;
• CEiS Ayrshire – a specialist employability company working in disadvantaged communities in the West of Scotland
• Specialisterne Scotland – a social enterprise working with Specialisterne in Denmark to employ people with Autism as software testers, website construction etc
• CEiS Events Service, established in 2007 is now the leading social enterprise events service in the UK.
• Social Value Lab, a social research enterprise which is Scotland’s first private /social /partnership),
• Ready for Business Procurement – the first Scottish social enterprise to be established as a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), RfB supports sustainable procurement.
Gerry established Social Firms UK in 1999 and was its CEO until 2006, during which time he was a founding director of the Social Enterprise Coalition (UK). Gerry worked with the DTI to draft and introduce the original UK Social Enterprise Strategy in 2002. Prior to this Gerry worked for over 20 years to develop innovative training and employment services for voluntary and public sector organisations in the UK and Ireland.
Gerry is a director of Social Value Lab, DSL Business Finance, CEiS Ayrshire, Ready for Business Procurement LLP and Specialisterne Scotland. He is on the Investment Panel for the Scottish Investment Fund, is Chair of the Social Enterprise World Forum, is a member of the Third Sector Research Forum and the Economic and Social Research Council Peer Review College. Gerry works with government agencies and Third Sector partners in the UK and internationally to support policy and practice in public procurement, community asset development and social enterprise solutions.
Gerry is married to Sheila, is trying hard to keep up with his two kids Ailsa (12) and Fergus (10) and enjoys triathlon, marathon running, cooking and hillwalking.